Automobile Claims FAQ

Where can I have my vehicle repaired?

The choice is yours as to where you would like your vehicle repaired. If you are unsure as to where you would like it repaired, we can recommend a repair facility that provides quality repairs. By choosing a body shop on Gore Mutual's "Direct Repair Program" (DRP), you will have the repairs guaranteed for as long as you own your vehicle.

What do I do if I need a rental car?

You are eligible to receive a car rental if you have the required endorsement which covers you for a replacement vehicle. These endorsements are referred to as the OPCF 20 and 320.

You are also entitled to a rental if you are not at fault for an accident and the claim takes place in Ontario (some restrictions apply).

What is a "Collision Reporting Centre"?

In many locations in Ontario, the police will no longer attend accident scenes unless someone is injured or criminal activity is involved. Drivers are now required to attend the local Collision Reporting Centre (or CRC) to report their loss. Drivers should attend at the CRC immediately after the accident, but can attend within 24 hours of the loss. Some CRCs are run by the local police force, but most are operated by a private company (supported by the police).

In some municipalities, bylaws require non-drivable vehicle to be towed to the CRC from the scene of the accident. In some cases, you may feel pressured by the tow operator to take your car to a body shop affiliated with the tow company. Again, it is your choice as to where to have your vehicle repaired. If you are unsure, call your broker, a Gore Mutual representative or leave your vehicle at the CRC.

Attached are links to the municipal CRC locations in Ontario:

Why are some people required to pay H.S.T?

If your vehicle is insured in a "business or company name", it is your responsibility to pay H.S.T on your vehicle repairs and any other claim related expense (i.e. rental car). You will be able to reclaim this expense when collecting your H.S.T. return for your business.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the portion of the claim that you are responsible for based on the percentage of fault that is attributed to you for the accident. A deductible is also charged for comprehensive claims (vandalism, thefts, animal hits). For example, if your deductible is $300 and the total claim is worth $1500, we would pay $1200 to you.

What is "no fault" Insurance?

"No fault" is an often misunderstood term and it does not mean that no one is at fault in a motor vehicle accident.

"No fault" insurance is a term that describes Accident Benefits coverage that is paid for injuries or death sustained in a motor vehicle accident regardless as to who was at fault for the accident. It also refers to Direct Compensation-Property Damage where you claim your damages through your own insurance company if the accident takes place in Ontario (certain regulations apply).

How is fault determined in a motor vehicle accident?

In Ontario, all insurers licensed to write in the province, abide by the "Fault Determination Rules". The chart sets out common accident scenarios and apportions fault wholly or partially based on the facts of the loss. The link below describes the "Fault Determination Rules" in detail:

What type of parts will be used on my vehicle?

There are generally three types of parts: OEM, Aftermarket and Salvage (or parts of like, kind and quality).

  • OEM- these are parts from the original equipment manufacturer. Gore Mutual's policy is to utilize OEM parts on all vehicles that are 2 years or newer.
  • Aftermarket parts- these are new parts that are made by a company other than the original equipment manufacturer. Gore Mutual only authorizes aftermarket parts which are CAPA (Certified Automotive Parts Association) certified. CAPA parts are tested and inspected to ensure fit and finish that is similar to OEM parts. Aftermarket parts hold a warranty that is as good or in some cases better than the warranty provided by the original manufacturer.
  • Salvage (or parts of like, kind and quality) - these are parts that have been salvaged off another vehicle of the same make and model of your vehicle. It is Gore Mutual's policy to utilize like, kind and quality parts on any vehicle that is 2 years or older at the time of the loss. Gore Mutual will not use salvage parts for items that are considered safety related items (air bags, brakes, etc).

When is a vehicle deemed a "total loss"?

A vehicle is determined to be a total loss when the repairs required to fix the vehicle exceed the actual cash value (or depreciated value) of the vehicle. Some vehicles may simply be damaged beyond safe repair or have been completely immersed in water or have extensive fire damage. The Ontario Auto Policy (OAP 1) states that the insurer is responsible to settle all claims on an actual cash value basis. Actual cash basis takes into account the amount that the vehicle has depreciated since new. Depreciation can be affected by many factors such as kilometers, quality of paint, options, mechanical condition, tires, etc. When determining the value of a vehicle, things such as new paint, a new or rebuilt engine or new tires can add value. Items that are deemed "regular maintenance" (brakes, oil changes, etc) generally add no value when determining the actual cash value at settlement.

A vehicle is not settled on an actual cash value if you purchase an endorsement (OPCF 43) that removes depreciation for a specific time frame from the purchase date (from new). Your broker can advise you about purchasing this endorsement when you buy a new vehicle.

What happens if your vehicle is stolen?

If your vehicle has been stolen, the first thing to do is to call the police and report the loss. Next, contact your broker or Gore Mutual to provide details of the loss.

If your vehicle is not recovered after 30 days, you will be compensated for the actual cash value of the vehicle at the time of the loss (your vehicle will not be depreciated if you have purchased the OPCF 43 endorsement).

Some things to remember about your theft claim:

  • If your vehicle is recovered before we settle with you, the police will call you and not your broker or your claims representative. It is important to let us know immediately if your vehicle has been recovered so that we can inspect the damages.
  • If you have contents stolen in the vehicle, they may be covered by your homeowner's insurance.
  • If your homeowner's policy is with Gore Mutual Insurance, you will only be charged one deductible (the higher of the auto or homeowner's deductible).

What should I do if the other party offers to pay for my vehicle damage?

Due to past experiences with our policyholders, it is not recommended that you settle your claim directly with the other party involved. It is our recommendation to report your claim to your broker and have them forward it to our office for handling to completion.

Other valuable websites


For more information, click one of the following links: